Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Boy Stops Smoking After Prayer

Maggie (14) - Today while I was out on the outreach, Pastor Nate and I came upon a man who could only speak Spanish. So Pastor Nate pulled up one our scripts in Spanish so he could talk to this man. I, of course, couldn't speak any spanish. So while I awkwardly stood there, I zoned out and I saw a boy about my age walking up a hill near the park. So while Pastor Nate continued with the gospel in Spanish, I ran over to the boy to ask for any prayer requests. His name was Johnathan and he was 13 years old. He told me he had an addiction to cigarettes and it had been that way since he was 8 years old.  He told me he had started getting into smoking because of his biological father who forced him to smoke with him.

I told Johnathan how  I knew a man who died of smoking at a young age. I told him how his decisions as a kid, like smoking, could affect his life as an older man. He agreed with every word I said, and I could tell he didnt want to smoke, but he said it's very hard because everyone around him smokes. So we talked for a while about how he could decide his fate right now and stop with the help of Jesus. After talking to him about this he said that he had a cigar in his pocket and he took it out and broke it apart and said he would stop smoking and try his best to change his future.

I felt so good that I had talked to him about this and prayed for him.  I thank God for giving me the boldness to run over to him in the first place. I also feel that I helped myself in a way today during that conversation. I feel like by seeing his sad lifestyle that it made me even more thankful for where I live and the parents I have. I and truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment